When a personal injury occurs - whether it is from an auto, work, property or other type of accident - it can be emotionally taxing on the individuals involved. It is also one of the most crucial times to gather evidence in the event you need to file a lawsuit. Here are five things to do in case of personal injury:
- Seek medical treatment - Even if you don't feel any pain at the onset, it's important to get a medical evaluation from a doctor. This will allow you to establish a medical record, which may be necessary should you decide to pursue litigation.
- Take photos - As soon as possible after the accident, take photos of anything that supports the claim, including: damages to vehicles, equipment or nearby surroundings. It's also a good idea to take photos of any bumps, bruises or scratches on the body that resulted from the accident.
- Get witness contact information - It can be very difficult to reach witnesses after the event, so be sure to take down names, phone numbers and email addresses for these parties right away. If you do contact a personal injury attorney at a later time, the contact information for witnesses will be crucial for gathering testimony to support the case.
- Report the accident - In order to establish an official record, you will need to report the accident to your insurance company. At this time, refrain from giving a statement; just give the report. In addition, you should contact the proper authorities including the local police department.
- Call a personal injury attorney - If you believe you have a personal injury case then you should contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible. Doing so on a timely basis will allow the legal team to obtain evidence that is essential to the lawsuit, such as witness testimony that is often less accurate as more time passes.
Personal injury cases can be a stressful experience for all parties, but by following these steps right after the accident you may be able to get the support you need for a solid case. The personal injury attorney will work hard to ease the burden by representing you and your claim in court. Clifford Law Offices has more than 30 years of experience in personal injury cases. Its team of personal injury attorneys have obtained significant settlements and verdicts.