Clifford Law Offices PC
Get Your Free Case Review
Main Menu Email Us

Errors on Credit Report? Find Out Who is Responsible from the Illinois State Bar

Question:  Can I sue a credit bureau for failing to correct an error on my credit report? Answer: Credit bureaus report what creditors tell them, so it's up to you to work things out with the creditor. According to federal law, only a state's attorney general can sue a creditor for furnishing inaccurate information. If the creditor providing information to the credit bureau doesn't correct the inaccuracy permanently within a few months of reporting the error, you may be able to sue for defamation. If it is a case of identity fraud, you may be able to sue for "negligent enablement of identity fraud." An attorney can help determine whether you have a case. For more information about Illinois law, visit If you have a legal question, send it to Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.