Clifford Law Offices PC
Get Your Free Case Review
Main Menu Email Us

Ensuring a Child is Supported, Despite Unemployment

Question:  What methods to enforce child support payments are available if the supporting parent claims to be unemployed?

Answer:  Attorneys have a number of methods at their disposal to enforce court-ordered child support payments. If the supporting parent claims to be unemployed, the non-custodial party can get a court order, ensuring that the "unemployed" parent maintain a job diary. The court can also order the non-custodial parent to participate in a government-sponsored job placement service and have that parent complete a financial disclosure statement to be reviewed by the court and attorneys. Other methods to enforce support include suspending a parent's driver's license and the right to a U.S. passport, seizing assets of the non-custodial parent to repay child support debt, and reporting the deadbeat parent to credit reporting agencies.       For more information about Illinois law, visit If you have a legal question, send it to   Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.