Clifford Law Offices PC
Get Your Free Case Review
Main Menu Email Us

Phone Harassment - Who to Contact?

Question: My partner and I have separated, and he moved out. I've been receiving threatening calls, and I believe he is the culprit. Should I contact the police?

Answer: A common form of harassment is phone harassment, a crime that involves using a telephone to convey obscene comments or to abuse, threaten or harass a person, or to cause the phone to repeatedly ring, or to conduct a harassing conversation. If the abuse continues, or you feel threatened in any way, consider informing the police or contacting a lawyer about an Order of Protection.

Anyone with a question about a legal matter can talk to a lawyer at no cost on the Illinois State Bar Association's 33rd Annual Ask-a-Lawyer Day on Saturday, April 26, from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact options include two toll-free numbers, Skype and email.

For more information about Illinois law, visit If you have a legal question, send it to

Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.