call now for a free consultation free consultation (312) 899-9090
request free consultation

Getting Back a Child Placed in Foster Care in Illinois

Question: My child has been removed from my home and put in foster care. What can I do to have him returned to my care? Answer: After losing a child to foster care, it can be a long, difficult process to have the child returned home. One of the most beneficial things you can do right now for yourself and your child is to be cooperative and honest with the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), and the court. The law requires that DCFS make reasonable efforts to help you get your child back and that your and your child’s case be resolved within a certain period of time. To have your child returned, you must make changes to the conditions that caused him to be placed in foster care. Be cooperative with the case worker and the courts. Know that you have a right to a lawyer and that if you can’t afford one, the judge will appoint one.     For more information about Illinois law, visit  If you have a legal question, send it to Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit