call now for a free consultation free consultation (312) 899-9090
request free consultation

Errors on Credit Report? Find Out Who is Responsible from the Illinois State Bar

Question:  Can I sue a credit bureau for failing to correct an error on my credit report? Answer: Credit bureaus report what creditors tell them, so it’s up to you to work things out with the creditor. According to federal law, only a state’s attorney general can sue a creditor for furnishing inaccurate information. If the creditor providing information to the credit bureau doesn’t correct the inaccuracy permanently within a few months of reporting the error, you may be able to sue for defamation. If it is a case of identity fraud, you may be able to sue for “negligent enablement of identity fraud.” An attorney can help determine whether you have a case. For more information about Illinois law, visit If you have a legal question, send it to Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit