call now for a free consultation free consultation (312) 899-9090
request free consultation

Your Landlord Refuses to Fix Your Apartment? What You Can Do

Question:  I have repeatedly asked my landlord to make repairs on my apartment, and they haven’t done so. Do I have a right to withhold the rent? Answer: If a repair is needed, landlords have a limited amount of time to make them. If the landlord doesn’t cooperate, you should send him or her a letter by certified mail. If the landlord fails to timely do repairs, you may have the right to do them yourself and deduct the amount from your next rent payment.  Keep receipts and take before and after photos. These documents can be used as proof if you need to go to court.     For more information about Illinois law, visit www.illinoislawyerfinder.comIf you have a legal question, send it to Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit