call now for a free consultation free consultation (312) 899-9090
request free consultation

Phone Harassment – Who to Contact?

Question: My partner and I have separated, and he moved out. I’ve been receiving threatening calls, and I believe he is the culprit. Should I contact the police?

Answer: A common form of harassment is phone harassment, a crime that involves using a telephone to convey obscene comments or to abuse, threaten or harass a person, or to cause the phone to repeatedly ring, or to conduct a harassing conversation. If the abuse continues, or you feel threatened in any way, consider informing the police or contacting a lawyer about an Order of Protection.

Anyone with a question about a legal matter can talk to a lawyer at no cost on the Illinois State Bar Association’s 33rd Annual Ask-a-Lawyer Day on Saturday, April 26, from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact options include two toll-free numbers, Skype and email.

For more information about Illinois law, visit If you have a legal question, send it to

Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit