call now for a free consultation free consultation (312) 899-9090
request free consultation

Traffic Offenses in Another State — What Can Happen

Question: Can a person in Illinois who is stopped by the police for a traffic offense, such as speeding, be subject to arrest if he or she only has an out-of-state driver’s license? Answer: It depends on the state. If the state is part of the Interstate Driver’s License Compact, the person stopped by the police could conceivably sign the ticket and leave the scene. But a person driving with a license from a state which is not a Compact member could be required to accompany an officer to the police station to post bond. The state of Illinois requires anyone who moves here from another state to transfer his or her driver’s license within 30 days of the relocation.     For more information about Illinois law, visit  If you have a legal question, send it to Illinois Law Now is a series of newspaper and internet posts prepared by the Illinois State Bar Association that address legal issues of interest to the public. For additional information about the law, visit