Trains can be a beautiful way to travel, see the country, and commute. However, tragic events like a derailment not only affect the people on the train but their entire community.
What to do after being involved in a train accident:
- Get medical help from emergency responders and seek out other medical experts as needed. Follow the recommendations of your healthcare treatment plan provided by your medical team.
- Contact your insurance provider. Tell them details of the accident, so it can be recorded on your profile.
- Document as much as you possibly can, including:
- Time and location of the accident
- Type of train and how the accident happened
- Your medical diagnosis and treatment plan
- Witnesses of the accident
- How injuries from the accident have negatively affected your daily life
- Seek legal support. The railroad company’s legal team will start working on the case ASAP, so do not delay in finding an expert train accident law firm.
Why seek legal support after a train accident?
Companies like Amtrak are massive for-profit businesses and can be sued like any other corporation. Train accidents are complicated cases, and train companies have a team of attorneys and insurance agents focused on deflecting the blame and payouts.
A train accident can take you away from your job, hobbies, family life, and so forth. Despite the seriousness of these accidents, help from an attorney can give you your life back. If you or someone close to you has suffered an injury in a train accident, contact Clifford Law Offices. We will review the facts of your case and discuss the possibility of a personal injury lawsuit. A personal injury claim could generate compensation for your accident-related losses, including medical bills and wage loss. If you lost a loved one in a train accident, we could discuss whether filing a wrongful death claim is a possible option.
Our firm has represented passengers in numerous rail crashes and derailments. One of the latest is against Amtrak and BNSF Rail Company for the September 25th, 2021 derailment in Montana where the firm represents dozens of injured victims. The tragic crash led to three people dead and many more injured due to eight out of the ten train cars leaving the tracks. “This tragedy could and should have been avoided,” said Kristofer Riddle, a partner on the legal team that obtained the $57 million settlement against Amtrak earlier this year. This is an ongoing lawsuit, so please follow our blog for updates.
Clifford Law Offices is here to help train accident victims and their families. For example, our experts and investigators are former employees of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). We utilize their specific railroad experience and unique expertise to establish the claims on behalf of our clients. We have the relationships, tools, and experts to make us incredibly knowledgeable in any areas we practice. That is the Clifford difference.
Contact us to discuss your train accident with our Chicago train accident attorneys by calling (312) 899-9090 or submitting our form online, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.