Five teenagers reportedly were injured this morning (Wednesday, 2/19/14) following an explosion at Northside College Prep High School in the 5500 block of Kedzie Avenue, according to ABC7 News in Chicago.
Four teens were taken to area hospitals where early reports indicate that one student suffered facial burns. One student is in serious to critical condition, two are in fair condition and one is in good condition, fire officials reported to the press. A fifth student declined treatment. Chicago firemen reported to ABC7 that at least one student suffered facial burns. Another was burned on both arms, according to media reports.Apparently a singleburner stove overheated hot chocolate that exploded, according to media reports. The Chicago SunTimes reported that the gas burner ignited, sending flames to the ceiling. The explosion was so loud that it could be heard in the next classroom and students began running out of the room, ABC7 reported from witnesses. School sprinklers went off to help douse the flames, according to media reports.The school is located in the North Park neighborhood of Chicago on the north side.