More and more common household and health care products once thought to be safe are now found to be toxic, and sometimes even deadly, as medicine and medical research becomes more sophisticated. Talcum powder is one of these products. Long thought to be so safe that it was heavily marketed for use on babies’ bottoms to keep them dry in their diapers. But the mineral talc can be carcinogenic. Composed of magnesium, silicon, oxygen and hydrogen, talc is mined from soil, often alongside a type of asbestos deposits.
The issue became front-page news with the $55 million verdict in May, 2016, when a South Dakota woman was found to have ovarian cancer caused by her years-long use of talc for feminine hygiene. The largest maker of talcum powder, Johnson & Johnson, also heavily markets talc for that purpose.
Johnson & Johnson documents show that the company was aware of these health concerns in talc since the mid 1970’s but nevertheless targeted women in its marketing efforts to use the product without any safety warnings.
Another 2016 case involved a 62-year-old Alabama mother who for many years used the company’s talcum powder product, Shower-to-Shower, for feminine hygiene. She died of ovarian cancer last year. After deliberating three hours, the jury decided her family was to receive $10 million in actual damages and also awarded $62 million in punitive damages, meant to punish the corporation for its behavior. Plaintiffs’ experts at trial explained to the jury their studies that linked talc to ovarian cancer.
Clifford Law Offices represents victims who have suffered adverse consequences following use of talc. If you think you have been harmed by use of a talc product, please contact the lawyers at Clifford Law Offices who can determine if you have a viable cause of action against the manufacturer or other potential defendants for your medical issues. Please complete the intake form so we can learn more about your case and guide you accordingly.
We also invite you to view our blog posts on class actions if you would like to learn more.